A Texan required 26 doses of anti-venom after he was bitten by the severed head of a rattlesnake he had killed.
Jennifer Sutcliffe told local station KIII-TV that her husband was working in the garden when he saw the four-foot (1.25m) rattlesnake and decapitated it.
When he picked up the snake’s remains to dispose of them, the head bit him.
A snake’s bite reflex can be triggered up to several hours after it has died. Ms Sutcliffe told KIII-TV her husband immediately began to have seizures.
He was airlifted from his home near Corpus Christi to hospital where he was treated with the anti-venom CroFab.
More than a week after the incident, the man is reportedly in stable condition, with some weakened kidney function.
Two goldfish have been given a flaming Viking burial boat send off by Orkney primary schoolchildren.
Primary 3 and 4 pupils at Papdale School in Kirkwall gave Bubbles and Freddy a traditional Norse ceremony to start their journey to Valhalla.
The fish become class pets for Christmas but both died recently.
The children, who had been studying the Vikings, wrote down their memories of the fish and read them aloud before the boat set sail.
A man in Russia’s Far East woke up in the morgue after having been declared dead, local media report. Before the incident, he had been doing vodka rounds with friends – and after the “miraculous awakening,” he went back to the party.
The man who was mistakenly taken for dead passed out after drinking too much, local Khasanskiye Vesti newspaper reported Wednesday.
His friends called an ambulance and medical staff hastily declared the man dead before taking him to the morgue, according to the daily. However, the man eventually came back to his senses (somewhat) – only to find himself in a mortuary freezer.
“That night the local morgue was filled to its capacity, the bodies were not only on the shelves, but also on the floor of the freezer room, where our ‘dead’ hero was allocated,” Aleksey Stoyev, a police spokesman, told the newspaper.
“At some point, the man woke up, failing to understand where he was. It was very dark and cold. In addition his brain was foggy due to the influence of alcohol. In the darkness, he felt someone’s completely cold limbs and in fear rushed to the door. But it was locked.”
He started screaming for help and pounding on the door. His calls drew the attention of the morgue’s guard, who reported the situation to the doctors. The latter thought that the guard was imagining things, according to the local report. Nonetheless, out of cautiousness the doctors called police.
Opening the door police were met by the ‘resurrected’ man who in panic ran out of the room, according to the department of criminal investigations. Police questioned the man and released him.
Returning to the place of the party, he found his friends were still drinking, but this time commemorating him. The person who opened the door was so shocked that he fainted, Hasanskie Vesti says. The commemoration ceremony was quickly revamped into a re-birthday party.
After the door-opener fainted, they should have called the ambulance for him, told them they had another dead body. 😉
A 91-year-old Polish woman who spent 11 hours in cold storage in a morgue after being declared dead has returned to her family, complaining of feeling cold.
Officials say Janina Kolkiewicz was declared dead after an examination by the family doctor.
However, morgue staff were astonished to notice movement in her body bag while it was in storage. The police have launched an investigation.
Back home, Ms Kolkiewicz warmed up with a bowl of soup and two pancakes.
The elderly woman appeared to have been admitted to the morgue prematurely
Gee, ya think? 🙂